Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Baby steps

I just ate the biggest dang lunch. Seriously, only individuals training for the sumo wrestling world championship should have eaten what I just ate. And, by individuals, I mean hippos. And, even though it technically was salad (okay, salad TRIO--Caesar, chicken salad, and pasta salad), truth is, I wasn't even really that hungry. But, I ate it.

I KNOW my biggest weight loss inhibitor is my diet. I've never minded exercise at all, but "dieting" is my arch nemisis. I guess I have what the experts would call "issues" with food. It's become increasingly popular for nutrition experts to say (at least on the talk shows I watch) that you need to get to the root cause of why you're fat and why you overeat. I've thought and thought about this and can honestly say that there hasn't been a certain incident in my life that I can pinpoint and say that that incident has subconciously caused me to overeat. Can't it just be that I enjoy eating? Can't it just be that eating is the one thing that I really do well, so I tend to overachieve at it?

Maybe. Maybe not. But, at this point I'm done thinking about it. I wish I could say that starting right now I'm only going to eat lean meat, fish 3x week, vegetables at every meal, etc. But, I know myself and I know I'm not going to do this. However, I have started to make better choices, and I'm committed to taking baby steps to slowly improve my diet. Things I've already started doing-- I'm buying ground turkey as opposed to ground beef; I'm cooking vegetables for every meal that I make at home (however, we do eat out about 3x week); I'm NOT drinking sodas; I'm cutting out fried foods.

Those are my baby steps, my friends.....

2 comments:

wanted: hot mama said...

yay! you! I love your comment about doing really well at eating and so you overachieve at it ... that's sooo me, too! You crack me up. I too, have switched to ground tukey, but am a total slave to the ease of fast food/eating out. But, like you said, it's all about baby steps. However, since my little guy has yet to walk, or crawl for that matter, I have little frame of reference and so I'm shooting for the baby shuffle (like an army guy on his gut, kind of, if he was drunk).

wanted: hot mama said...

Umm, hello. It's been a week since this post ... update, please. This fluffy mama needs inspiration. =)